General Information

Contact Us


Security of tenancy

  You can continue to live in your rental unit until you give your landlord proper notice that you intend to move out, you and your landlord agree that you can move, or your landlord gives you a notice to end your tenancy for a reason allowed by the Act. Important: If your landlord gives you a notice to end your tenancy, you do not have to move out.  Your landlord must apply to the Board to get an order to evict you and you will have the right to go to a hearing and explain why your tenancy should not end. 

Privacy: Your landlord can only enter your rental unit for the reasons allowed by the Act.  In most cases, before entering your unit, your landlord must give you 24 hours written notice.  There are some exceptions, however, such as in the case of an emergency or  once you have given your landlord proper notice to terminate your tenancy. Note: At Centa, our policy is to not enter your home unless you are there to let us in.

You are responsible for:

  • paying your rent on time

  • keeping your unit clean, up to the standard most people would consider ordinary or normal cleanliness

  • repairing any damage to the rental property caused by you or your guests

For more specific information, we are providing you with a list of the most frequently asked questions from our tenants. If you have a question about our services in property administration in Ottawa that isn’t on the list, please feel free to ask using the Contact Us page or email


How do I pay my rent?

Centa is now proud to announce that we are accepting e-mail transfers for rent payments.If you wish to use this method, please send the e-transfer to:


Secret Question: What street is your office on?

Answer: Waverley

We also accept debit, cheques or money orders at our office. We are unable to accept cash or credit card payments.

Whom do I make rent cheques or money orders payable to?

Cheques or money orders can be made payable to “Centa” or “Centa Real Estate”.

When is rent due?

Centa does not tolerate late payment of rent for any reason. Your rent is due on the first (1st) of the month, every month of your tenancy.

Can I withhold rent because Centa isn't properly maintaining my building or unit?

No. If you withhold rent, Centa can give you an N4 Notice to End Tenancy Early for Non-payment of Rent and then file an application to evict you. Maintenance requests can be made through our office or online. It is our policy to provide effective and timely service. However, weather conditions, parts availability, and contractor scheduling and your availability must be taken into account. 

When is rent considered late?

Rent is considered late if it is not paid in full by the first business day of each month.

What are the possible consequences of late rent payment(s)?

If a tenant fails to pay rent on time, Centa has no choice but to send the tenant an N4 Notice to End Tenancy Early for Non-payment of Rent or an N8 Notice to End your Tenancy at the End of the Term. (see next questions for more details). If payment is made by cheque or pre-authorized payment and is returned NSF, the tenant will be charged a penalty of $20.

If you received a move-in bonus of a free months rent, it will be voided if your rent is paid late. 

I received an N4 Notice to End a Tenancy Early for Non-payment of Rent. What does this mean?

If you have received an “N4 – Notice to End a Tenancy Early for Non-Payment of Rent”, this means that Centa had no record of payment at the time the notice was issued. This is a first warning for a late rental payment. This notice gives the tenant 14 days to pay the balance listed on the notice or legal action may be taken with the Landlord and Tenant Board. If you believe you have received the notice in error, please contact our office.

I received an N8 Notice to End your Tenancy at the End of the Term. What does this mean?

If you have received an “N8 Notice to End your Tenancy at the End of the Term”, this means that Centa has sent you multiple N4’s and you are consistently paying your rent late. Centa can apply to the Landlord Tenant Board to evict you immediately after giving you this notice. There is a $190 filing fee that is charged back to you. The Landlord and Tenant Board will then schedule a hearing and send you a copy of the application and the Notice of Hearing.

How do I request income tax receipts?

Centa provides rent receipts upon request at the end of each the year. They become available mid-January and will be delivered to you by the pre-agreed upon method, email, regular mail or pickup at our office. Requests can be made by calling our office or by email.

How often can the rent be increased?

Rent can be increased by the guideline set each year by the Ministry of Housing. Landlords can increase the rent once every twelve months. Centa is required to give you a 90 day written notice of the increase that will be mailed to your address.

Who is responsible for maintaining the unit?

It is the landlord’s responsibility to maintain the unit in a good state of repair. However, the tenant is responsible for keeping the unit clean, up to the standard that most people consider ordinary or normal cleanliness.

What can I do if my unit needs repairs/maintenance?

As a tenant, it is your legal responsibility to keep your unit clean and repair anything that you, your family or guests damage. Please visit our maintenance request page for more detailed information on how to request repairs or maintenance. 

It is our policy to provide effective and timely service. However, weather conditions, parts availability, and contractor scheduling and your availability must be taken into account. 

What can I do if I have a problem with pests such as rats, mice, cockroaches or bedbugs?

Please submit a maintenance request through this website or call our office at (613) 234-8034 and inform us of the issue. We will arrange to have an exterminator go to your home as soon as possible. Please read the If the Exterminator is Coming information sheet and follow the appropriate instructions. We can’t help you get rid of the pests if you are not willing to participate in the preparation. The treatment will not work if you do not properly prepare.

What can I do if I have a problem with mold in my unit?

Please review the information in the brochure Moisture and Air: A Guide for Understanding and Fixing Interior Moisture Problems in Housing. This guide provides information on where mold comes from and practical solutions on how to prevent and resolve mold issues. 

Is there visitor parking available?

Visitor parking is available and overseen by each individual condominium corporation. Visitor parking spaces are for non-resident visitors only. A visitor is a person visiting for a maximum of 72 hours in any 7-day period.  Typically, visitors must register the vehicle with the parking control. Look for posted signs near the visitor parking for instructions.

Any visitor using a visitor parking space beyond the 72 hours must receive approval from the Condominium Corporation in advance. Parking is strictly enforced and offenders will be ticketed and/or towed.

Does Centa have extra parking spots available?

Each unit is assigned one parking spot. Centa cannot guarantee a second parking spot, but generally arrangements for a second parking spot can be made through your local Condominium Corporation. There is an additional charge for each parking space, which depends on the individual condominium corporation. Please call our office or email to request the phone number for your specific Condominium Corporation.

Who is responsible for Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors?

Both Centa and the tenant have responsibilities when it comes to fire prevention. Each unit Centa rents comes with a working smoke alarm on each level and a working carbon monoxide detector (gas heated units only). At least once a year you will receive a letter notifying you of a date and time that our Agent will be coming to check the smoke alarms and Carbon Monoxide detector.

You are responsible for changing the batteries and notifying Centa as soon as you become aware that a carbon monoxide or smoke alarm in your unit is not working. You must not remove the batteries or tamper with the alarms in any way.

How does Centa enforce policies?

When an issue arises, our office is notified by the individual condominium corporation. Once a complaint is made, Centa will send you an N5 Notice to End your Tenancy For Interfering with Others, Damage or Overcrowding. If it becomes an ongoing problem, Centa will proceed with an immediate eviction.

I received an N5 Notice to End your Tenancy For Interfering with Others, Damage or Overcrowding. What does this mean?

If you have received an “N5 Notice to End your Tenancy For Interfering with Others, Damage or Overcrowding”, this means that Centa has received a complaint from your Condominium Corporation. Your first warning gives you 7 days to resolve the issue(s) described on page 2 or legal action may be taken with the Landlord and Tenant board. should the same violation occur again after 7 days the landlord can immediately apply to the tribunal to have the tenant evicted.

If you believe you have received the notice in error, please call our office or email

Who is responsible for snow removal?

You are responsible to clear off your own steps at the front of your home. If your assigned parking spot is in a common lot, after snowfall a contractor will arrive in the early morning to clear a path down the center of the parking lot. The contractor will return during the day to clear the remaining snow from the parking spots. If you see the contractor in your parking lot, please remove your vehicle. If you leave your vehicle parked during the day, please make arrangements to have the vehicle removed in order that your parking spot may be cleared. The contractor will not be returning at night to clear individual spots. If you have your own driveway, it is your responsibility to clear your own driveway.

Who is responsible for garbage removal?

You are responsible for properly storing your garbage between pick-up days (inside your unit or on rear patios). Garbage must be kept in secure containers that are animal and rodent proof. If you have any garbage that is not typically picked up by the city (kitchen appliances, packing cartons, furniture, etc), you will need to make your own arrangements for its removal. Garbage collection occurs once every two weeks. For the specific pickup times and to find out what is picked up by the city, please visit or call 3-1-1.

All garbage must be placed out no earlier than 7PM on the day before garbage pickup day and must be in unbroken plastic bags or in secure containers. Garbage collection points are established at designated places within the condominium.  These are the only places were garbage may be left for collection. Garbage container and bins must be picked up no later than within a reasonable time after garbage pickup.

When can Centa enter my unit?

According to the Landlord Tenant Board, a landlord can only enter a tenant’s unit in specific circumstances. In most cases, the landlord must first give the tenant 24 hours written notice, stating when they will enter and for what reason. At Centa, it is our policy to not enter your unit unless someone is home to let us in. Exceptions are made in case of emergency.

Can I refuse to let the landlord in if the landlord wants to enter my unit?

If the landlord has a valid reason for entering your unit, you cannot refuse to let the landlord in. If you don’t let the landlord in, the landlord can give you a notice of termination claiming that you are interfering with their lawful rights and you could be evicted.

Do I need tenant insurance?

 Tenant insurance is required and the  liability component is a requirement . Tenant insurance is for your personal belongings in case of fire, theft, vandalism. It also protects you if someone gets hurt at your house if you have liability insurance.

Am I allowed to paint?

Centa does allow tenants to paint their homes, but we require that it be painted back to the original, neutral colour when you decide to move out or you will. If the unit is not painted back to the original, neutral colour, the tenant will be billed accordingly.

Can I change the locks?

Centa requires that you request permission for any lock system changes. You are also required to provide our office with copy of the new key. 

Can I install an air conditioner?

Window air conditioners may be installed, but it is required that the portion of the window not filled by the air condition be filled with plexi-glass, not cardboard or plywood.

My lease is/will be over and I would like to move. What are my obligations?

In Ontario, you are required to provide your landlord with no less than 60 days written notice. Your Notice of Termination must end at the end of a rental period, meaning your notice MUST include no less than 60 days. No exceptions will be made.

Your notice needs to include your name and address as well as your intended move-out date. It can be dropped off at our office, faxed or emailed to If you are emailing your notice, it must be sent as an attachment.

Once your notice is received, Centa will mail you a move-out letter and checklist. At that time, we will credit your last month’s rent deposit and return any post-dated cheques to you. The last month’s rent deposit is used only for the last month you will be living in the unit. 

Can I use Centa as a reference for my next rental application?

Absolutely. Just provide them with our telephone number or email us at

At Centa Real Estate, we strictly follow the guidelines and regulations found in the Residential Tenancies Act, which is regulated by the Landlord and Tenant Board of Ontario. This clearly sets out the rights and responsibilities of both tenants and landlords. For additional information, please visit the Landlord & Tenant Board’s website.